Friday, June 20, 2008

Officially car-less!?!? Until Tuesday...

That's right. I've been taking a Financial Peace University class, and it's been one of the most eye-opening experiences I've had. With as much debt as I have, and as little money I make, I've made some pretty radical decisions to start the hard road of paying off ALL of my debt, in as little time as possible. One of those decisions was to sell my car, something that means so much to me. I've only had my new Vibe since late January, but after really looking into how much money I'd be paying in interest over the next 5 years, and also just how much I had left in principle, the best financial option became clear...sell it. So, on Thursday 6/12, I handed it over to the new owners. I was a little emotional, but I knew that my decision would impact my financial future in a good way. So I started looking for a pretty inexpensive car to pay cash with, which was pretty humbling, but good for me. God is good, and I knew that He'd provide what I needed. I have to admit that I started to get a little panicky though, when several cars I was seriously looking at either got bought out from underneath me or didn't check out well with my mechanic. As scary as it was at first, I knew it was all about trust. Since I decided to put my car up for sale in May, I prayed that if it was God's will for me to do so, that He would provide a buyer and another reliable car for me to drive.

So, without a car, and without one really in sight, I left on 6/13 for Chicago and then Oklahoma for a week, unsure of how I'd get to work the Monday I returned. Not only did I still not have a car, but I was out of town and not even able to look at any for more than a week! God is really something though. There was a guy at a local dealership who knew what I was looking for, how much money I had to spend, and knew that I was out of town. I gave him my father's cell number just in case he were to find anything while I was gone. And he did. He called my father, who came and testdrove the car, and my dad called me to let me know he thought I'd be impressed. I was able to get a deposit to the dealer, my dad was able to get it to my mechanic for a second check, and essentially the car was waiting for me when I got home! I got to close the deal on Tuesday, and drive home an 2001 Saturn SC 3-door coupe that's in EXCELLENT condition, deemed mechanically sound, and with lower mileage than I'd expected. In fact it only has 10K more than the Vibe I sold, and I paid less than half of what I bought my Vibe for! I ended up needing a little more money than I thought, but God provided that too. I've really just been amazed at how He's orchestrated this entire thing, but I shouldn't be surprised. That's the kind of God I serve.


My Vibe...

My new Saturn!

And do you want to know what else came of this? An opportunity to be a witness and plant seeds. When I went in on Monday, after getting back in town, to look at and test drive the car for myself, I was able to spend some time talking with the guy who had found the car for me. We got to talking and found out we had some things in common, and he ended up sharing a pretty neat article with me about a martyr from hundreds of years ago that God really used to make an impact on the world. This guy was impressed by the article, and I was touched that he wanted to share it with me. So, as we're walking across the parking lot to the other building for me to pay and get a receipt for the car, God prompted me to throw out a question. "Jim," I said, "can I ask you a weird question?" "Well, sure!" he said. "Jim, what do you think happens when we die?" He began talking about how some people believe there's nothing, some believe in reincarnation, etc. I said, "but what do you believe?" He said, "Well, I was raised Catholic, but honestly, I'd like to believe there's some kind of glorious afterlife." Reaching the next building, our conversation was promptly cut off, but I had hoped that maybe a seed had been planted to get him to think more about eternity.

Then as we left that building to walk across the parking lot back to the main building, HE began to pick up the converstation where we left off! Wow God is amazing. This guy wanted to talk about eternal things. Quite the opposite of what the Enemy tries to convince us of when he wants us to keep our mouths shut. He started to talk about how he really thought that there was so much more to this life than just working, accumulating stuff, and then dying. Then he said, "you know though, there are alot of scientists that have become atheists through their study." And I followed up with, "Yes, I know unfortunately, Jim. But did you know that there are also scientists who have become believers as a result of their study? You never hear about those, but their stories are just as real." "Really?" he said. "Definately," I said, "even just the fact that the human eye is more complex than any computer on the planet Jim...the deeper they did into the complexity and magnificence of creation and humankind, the more apparent it becomes that it's impossible that this all just happened by accident." "Wow," he agreed. "I know the galaxies are infinate, and it would only make sense that there would be an infinite being behind it all."

I left that day so grateful for our converstation, but God wasn't done. I had to go back the next day to have some scratches touched up, and God laid it on my heart to give Jim a thank you card, a tip, and a copy of One Heartbeat Away. It has answers to the questions that still linger in Jim's heart about what awaits us in eternity. He wasn't there, so I dropped it off for him. The next day he called and left me a voicemail to let me know that he was so thankful for the tip I left and the book, that he was touched that I had taken the time to do that for him, and that he started reading it the night before. He said he's going to finish it and hopes to maybe chat with me afterwards. I can't wait for the call. Please pray for Jim, that he would come to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ. Kinda makes you wonder what was the real reason God convinced me to sell my car!

1 comment:

Brandi said...

Friend-I am so proud of you! I love you so much and love watching what God does in your life!!! Blessed to call you friend! God provided you in my life in just the RIGHT time (go figure) and I am forever grateful!

Love ya,
~B~